As the summer rolls on and the days noticeably get shorter and shorter it is easy to want to hang onto the feelings of vacation time. Finding yourself all of sudden in the midst of mid August you wake up and realize that time is fleeting.
There is an immediate urge to soak in every month as you notice the mornings and evenings are cooler as you let the mid day sun beat down on you. I love Summer for many reasons but what comes to mind is the garden and yard grows and fills in with an abundance of greenery, the movement of the flower stems in the breeze and the seemingly endless evenings sitting and relaxing on the deck.
Far away are the reality of layers upon layers of clothing that come with winter. It is easy to get out and about with the slip of the shoes.
Sounds of kids exploring the world fill the air as they roam free from the confines of home. The upcoming school year is not in their thoughts as games are played in the yard and one is ultimately named the winner. Gangs of bikes meander down the trails in the park weaving side to side without care of time or caution.
The songs of Summer play in the vehicles packed with optimistic youths as they drive on by. They may never truly know how free they are in that moment. A moment of nostalgia may come years later as I know it has for myself.
That nostalgia floods into my mind when I taste the creamy coolness of the pistachio. I am transported back to my traveling days one summer in Italy and their gelato shops on what seems like every corner. One can not pass by without stepping in to sample a little bit of heaven. The quality shops offer scoops of light green goodness packed with that coveted deep nutty flavour. There was one shop that was very popular not only on social media but for the quality of their wares. The line up was out the door and into the market square for good reason. It was well worth the wait and the people watching made it that much more interesting. There was a buzz of excitement in the line as we all patiently waited for our turn at the order counter.
So I share with you this little piece of heaven as one spoonful will transport you to endless days of Summer and a lifetime of memories.
Pistachio White Chocolate Ice Cream
You will go Nutty for this ice cream dream.
- 1 cup unshelled salted pistachio nuts
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 4 eggs yolks
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 unshelled salted pistachio nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup white chocolate wafers,chopped
- In a food processor grind the shelled pistachio nuts and 1/4 cup of sugar until fine.
- In a large saucepan combine the pistachio mixture and whole milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat and remove from heat. Add in the almond extract.
- In a large sized bowl, whisk the eggs yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until combined. Slowly pour in pistachio mixture gradually while continuing to whisk. Return the whole mixture to the large saucepan.
- Over medium low heat cook the mixture for about 10 minutes and continue to whisk until the custard thickens. Remove from heat and chill in a bowl place in the refrigerator until completely cold.
- Remove mixture from the refrigerator and add in the whipping cream. Add the mixture to the prepared frozen ice cream maker bowl and run the machine for about 20-25 minutes until it is the constancy of soft serve ice cream. Add in the 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios and 1/2 cup of chopped white chocolate wafers. Continue to run the ice cream maker for approximately 7 minutes until the mixture is combined and further frozen.
- Place the mixture in an air tight container and place in the freezer overnight to further harden.
- Dish and serve immediately. Store remaining ice cream in an air tight container in the freezer for up to a week.