Have you ever made homemade ice cream? I have contemplated the idea for quite some time and have debated the freezer bowl for the existing stand mixer or a stand alone ice cream maker.
There were pros and cons that had come up. Firstly cost. Well the freezer bowl was pretty much the same price as a higher end maker. The mid range makers were less money, but storing a bowl and sneaking in another appliance on the shelf might be tricky. I was fine with mid range grade machine as honestly it would not be used year round (not a fan of ice cream during minus 30 degree Celsius winters).
I was watching online flyers on and off for about 2 years. Yes, it seemed like a luxury item that I really didn’t need but it would be really nice to have. The makers were likely to go on sale before the stand mixer add on was, so that would be my likely bet if taking the purchase plunge.
The hot streak in the month of July really had me hankering to just make the purchase and try my hand at a little ice creamy treat making.
I just happened upon a sale priced stand alone maker and suggested to my Hubby that ‘Hey a girl might want one for her Birthday coming up’. Yes, I was requesting an appliance for my birthday. Sounds lame to some, but to a foodie like myself it is the perfect opportunity to add to the collection.
So the wheels were in motion for the coveted machine. The thing that solidified the deal was that the day after said conversation, I saw an online post for the same machine from the same merchant at a ridiculously low price. The regular price was around $140 but was not listed at the $80 sale price from the day before. It was listed at $40! What?! Apparently it was a pricing error, but the merchant still honoured it.
My dreams of endless and customized ice cream flavours was to become a reality! For the initial $40 investment in the machine the possibilities of what could be created would not be such a big gamble.
So exciting was the opportunity to treat myself and spouse to some adult ice cream that included ingredients from the bar cart. Also herbs from our garden could be further utilized in these fruity concoctions. So that is just what I did.
The double cherry sweet goodness from the fresh cherry and liqueur are mellowed by the rich creamy texture. The fresh basil adds a sweet herbal note that glides on your tongue. One spoonful of this wonderful concoction has you coming back for more.
Yes it does take time and you do need a little patience, but it is well worth the wait. Somethings in life are worth a little bit of effort to be customized to your liking.
Cherry Basil Ice Cream
Customized cherry basil ice cream is the perfect summer dessert that adults do not need to share.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and quartered
- 1 1/2 ounces cherry liqueur
- 2Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- In a medium sauce pan add 1 cup of heavy cream, sugar and salt. Heat over medium heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla paste, the remaining heavy cream and the milk. Let cool completely. Pour into a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Process the mixture in your ice cream maker as per your manufacturers instructions. About 25 minutes of the initially mixing for it to be semi frozen.
- Add in the cherry, cherry liquor and basil and process for another 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the machine and place the ice cream in an air tight container and let set firm for several hours or overnight before serving.
*must be legal drinking age to enjoy this dessert with the cherry liqueur