These waffles fit the craving of the beginning of Spring while we enjoying a unseasonable mild Winter.
They are fresh, fun and oh so good! From scratch and proof is in the taste. They are light and fluffy due to the incorporated egg whites. Well worth the little bit of extra time as the yield is high and the results are mouth watering. It’s waffles and who can resist?
I have followed the basis recipe and incorporated frozen blueberries to make them oh so sweet. Warmed blueberries are great. I prefer to use frozen as they tend to hold their shape and do not require any thawing time prior to folding them in the batter.
The lemon syrup is a nice touch and if you add a dap of goat cheese to cut through the sweetness it will bring things to a whole new level. So enjoy this breakfast jewel of a treat!
Great for a crowd on the weekend or for leftovers on a normally dismal Monday morning.
Lemon Almond Blueberry Waffles with Honey Lemon Syrup
Greetings for Spring! Fresh and fun these waffles are light as air.
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries
- Preheat the waffle maker & lightly spray with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Combine the egg yolks, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and lemon zest in a large bowl. Beat until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Fold the egg whites, butter and blueberries into the batter. Using the amount recommended by the waffle iron manufacturer's instructions, about 1/3 cup of batter for each waffle, pour the batter into the preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Drizzle with lemon honey and serve.
For the lemon honey: Heat the honey, lemon juice and lemon zest over medium heat in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally, until warm, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat a cool.
For the waffles: Beat the egg whites until they are thick and hold soft peaks using a whisk or an electric hand mixer in a medium bowl, about 2 minutes.
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis recipe